Prison Families Alliance, Inc. (PFA)
Improve awareness about the effects of incarceration on families through education, support, and advocacy.
The purpose of this organization is to support and educate anyone who has or had a loved one involved in any aspect of the criminal justice system. The goals are to help the prison family, those on the outside and those on the inside or returning from prisons and jails, by providing guidance, support, information, and education. It is our desire to benefit this community by enhancing the qualities of their lives.
Who We Are and What We Do:
Prison Families Alliance, Inc. (formerly The Friends and Family of Incarcerated Persons, Inc.), is a nonprofit agency providing information and support to adults and children who have loved ones in the prison system.
- Monthly online peer support meetings for family members and children
- Yearly holiday support for families
- Email communication
Keys to Success:
- Empower those who have loved ones in the prison system to lead productive lives.
- Launch a series of fundraising activities that will successfully fund the expanding programs.
- Establish an effective onboarding program for facilitators and volunteers.
- Raise awareness about the effects of incarceration to those on the prison family, those on the inside and those on the outside.
- Establish a strong network of support with other organizations, Nevada Department of Corrections (NDOC), local law enforcement and criminal justice personnel (e.g. Judges and attorneys), as well as legislatures.
Prison Families Alliance (PFA) has provided information and emotional support through support group meetings for the past 21 years. PFA has also organized events for people to get together and has held a holiday party for children and families with incarcerated loved one, for 18 years. During the pandemic families were provided a holiday meal and gifts for the whole family.
PFA is a volunteer-run organization and new volunteers are always welcome.
- Individual workshops for children and other family members to provide information and life balance while their loved one is in the prison system.
- Re-Entry programs to help families prepare and adjust for their loved one coming home.
- Remote Support Group Meetings.
- PFA Buddy System.